ALL-ON-4 Dental Implants
Posts for tag: bleeding gums
Are bleeding gums normal sometimes?
Answer: No! Bleeding gums are never normal. Bleeding is a sign of gum tenderness, irritation, and infection. Think of gum tissue as you would the skin on your hands. If your nails bled every time you used a nail brush to clean them, you would instinctively know "something" was wrong. The same holds true when it comes to your gums. Bleeding causes bacteremia which is the presence of bacteria in the blood. Bleeding gums is one of the signs of periodontitis and gingivitis.
Do your gums bleed easily? It might be because of something simple, like using the wrong technique when you brush or floss. Or it could be a sign of a health condition you need to check out.
Common Causes of Bleeding Gums
You may have bleeding gums if you:
- Have gingivitis, a disease that causes inflammation of the gums
- Brush too hard or your toothbrush isn't soft enough
- Just started a flossing routine and your gums aren't used to it yet
- Take certain medications, like blood thinners
- Have inflamed gums because you're pregnant (pregnancy gingivitis)
- Have dentures that don't fit well
- Faulty dental restorations