ALL-ON-4 Dental Implants
Posts for: November, 2012
Gums exams are vital in the maintenance of your oral health as they are used to assess the health of your gums and teeth. They can help your dentist diagnose gum diseases, gingivitis, and periodontitis. These gums exams can also reveal receding gums, exposed roots, tooth grinding, and other gums-related problems, making gums exams vital to maintaining proper oral health. Regular dental exams are important as they can reveal evidence of gum disease in its early stages.
During your gums examination, the dentist should check:
- For any lumps or abnormal areas in the mouth
- Whether any of your teeth are missing or loose
- The color, texture, size, and shape of your gums
- Whether you have fillings, crowns, bridges, dentures, or implants
- How much plaque is on your teeth
- The depth of the space between your tooth and gum
Gingivitis is the first stage of periodontal disease that causes inflammation of the gums. Dental x-rays can determine if the inflammation has spread to the supporting structures on the teeth so treatment can be started to correct the problem. Periodontitis occurs when gingivitis goes untreated, which makes gums exams vital to preventing and putting an end to gum diseases.
We, as dentists in plantation, perform gums exams with each visit, emphasizing the importance of regular, routine dental visits.